Between an injury, exams, travelling, and general procrastination and time-wasting things, I managed to take a running hiatus of 3 months.
And I hated that.
I really missed that post-run feeling, where it’s like I’m on top of the world and I’m ready to tackle anything that comes my way! 😀
Well, I’m finally back in form at last.
I’m super slow, but I’m just focusing on getting out there and putting one foot in front of the other for now!
Here are my tips for breaking a running hiatus:
- Continue to read running blogs and running websites to motivate yourself. My faves are Run Eat Repeat, Hungry Runner Girl, and Reddit’s running subreddit. Pinterest and Tumblr are also good for this!
- Leave your running gear in your room where you can see it. This tip works best with fluorescent running gear 😉
- If you’re a morning runner, go to sleep in your running clothes! Weird, but it works. It’s going to be getting sweaty anyway!
- Tell someone you’re going for a run (not for everyone). It does motivate me though – I can’t lose face by not going!
- Promise yourself a treat afterwards. Like putting on a face mask later that day, or buying a new nail polish. Small but effective!
- Make post-run plans to look forward to while you’re running. (This should involve delicious food if you’re anything like me!)
- Put your running app in a visible place on your phone’s home screen. My favourite running app is Runkeeper.
- Plan a new route to look forward to. Some photos of the lovely route I take when I’m at home are below!
- Download some new music or podcasts to listen to on your run – I love listening to This American Life or Radiolab when I run; I rarely get time to listen to them otherwise.
- Remind yourself that you have never regretted a run! Or remind yourself of your own motivational statement of choice instead 🙂
What are your top running motivational tips? Did I miss any?
Here are some scenes from my run the other day – it was such a lovely day for it! (The colours are a bit glarey on the last one, google + editing went a bit mad? I can’t find the original now 😦 )
Hope your week is going well!